Sweet potatoes are a very common American style food. Mainly we see them as a staple during Thanksgiving and the holidays. They aren’t just for making the famous Sweet Potato Pie or the classic Sweet Potato Casserole, but they can be used in any meal of the day. They can be baked, boiled, roasted and even in this recipe, sautéed. If you’re thinking why you should incorporate sweet potatoes in your diet, here’s why:
They are a rich source of vitamin B6 which helps to reduce risk of heart disease. They contain vitamin C which adds to healthy, beautiful hair and skin. Another great source is vitamin D which is critically important for the immune system and overall health. The beautiful orange color is a result of the betacarotene which is another food element that aids in boosting the immune system and powerful antioxidants that rid the body of cancer causing free radicals.
And if that’s too much for you, they’re just plain ol’ good! ummm! ummm!
Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Heart Healthy
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes, shredded
- 1 Sweet Red Pepper, thin strips
- 1 Small Red Onion, thin strips
- 2 tsp Parsley, chopped
- 1 C Fresh Green Beans
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Olive Oil
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 Eggs
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- In a pan, add half the olive oil and heat. Add red onion and cook until slightly translucent.
- Next, add red pepper and green beans and cook 2-3 mins. Once cooked, remove from pan and set aside.
- Add half the olive oil to the pan until heated. Add shredded sweet potatoes. Cook 5- 7 mins then stir in the vegetables and cook 3 more mins. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with a dash of cayenne pepper. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and cook eggs until just over easy for 2 mins ( or longer if you prefer)
- Place sweet potato & veggies on a plate and top with the over easy egg. Finish with fresh black pepper and parsley. Enjoy!