Kale and Lentil Soup
Wow! I can’t believe it… 25 degrees!! May not seem like much, but that’s cold here in Texas! Brrr! Let’s warm up with some delicious soup!
I know if it’s this cold in Texas… a whopping 25 degrees, it must feel like the frozen tundra everywhere else. Old man winter is really showing out.
Satisfy your craving for comfort food.
Frankly, I love healthy comfort food when it’s chilly outside. Often times, we relish in the heartiness of delicious, comfy food that wreaks havoc on our healthy eating plan. However, this recipe is chocked full of nutrients and less of the high calories and saturated fats like creams or cheese. Indulge yourself with the tuscan flavors of tomatoes and earthiness of kale and lentils. It’s ok to add a dash of red pepper flakes to give it a little kick! This is a great time to warm up your insides with a bowl of deliciousness that doesn’t take all day to cook.
With my schedule, I don’t have a lot of time to spend preparing one meal. Most of us are busy juggling multiple things: family, career, and even meals. With me, I do spend a lot of time in the kitchen, but on multiple meals. So this is ideal for me to get it going and then start on something else. I don’t like to call it meal prep per se, but I do like to organize meals for a couple of days. But that doesn’t say it keeps me out of the kitchen. I just don’t have think about what to cook from day to day.
By the time I prep a few meals and bust a few suds, this bad boy is ready to go!
Soup’s on! Let’s eat!
10 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 1 bunch Kale (tuscan or regular)
- 1 28 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 C trio lentils
- 1 C wild brown rice
- 1 onion (diced)
- 3 celery hearts (finely chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 C chicken broth (veggie broth works)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary (chopped)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp sherry vinegar
- In a large pot, add olive oil on medium heat
- Stir in onion and cook 3 to 5 mins until translucent
- Stir in celery and garlic cook for 2 mins
- Add brown rice and lentils cook 3 mins
- Add chicken broth and diced tomatoes
- Add the salt, pepper herbs and spices and bring to a boil
- Lower heat and simmer for 40 mins
- Add kale and sherry vinegar simmer until kale is tender 5 to 10 mins.