I posted this a little over a month ago, but it was sooo good that it’s well worth posting again! This is not just any meatless Monday, but a Mexican meatless Monday.
So why meatless Monday? What’s the big deal? Well if you didn’t know, going without meat once a week reduces your risk of chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes, cancer and cardio vascular disease. When we reduce these chronic ailments, we also limit the impact they can have on our finances by reducing the cost of medical care.
So here’s to your health! Have a great Meatless Monday kind of day!
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil 1 Med Onion (diced) 2 cloves Garlic (minced) 2 Tomatoes (diced) 1 Med Zucchini (diced) 1 (15 oz) can Black Beans (rinsed, drained) 2 TBSP Tomato Paste 1/2 c Water 2 tsp Cumin 2 tsp Chili Powder 2 tsp Oregano Salt & Pepper 12 Corn Tortilla 1/2 c low-fat skim Mozzarella 1/2 c finely shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350. Heat oil in medium pan. Add onions and cook til translucent, about 5 to 7 mins. Add garlic and cook til fragrant, 30 secs.
- Add tomatoes and cook 5 mins. Add tomato paste, water and zucchini; then add beans and spices; simmer 5 mins. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- While the bean mixture is cooking, lightly oil a 9 x 13 baking dish and layer with 6 of the corn tortillas. Allow them to overlap.
- Add half of the bean mixture, and spread evenly. Top with half of the cheese. Next, add the last 6 corn tortillas and the last of the bean mixture. Top with the last half of the cheese. Add more if needed to fully cover the top.
- Lightly cover with foil and bake 15 to 20 min. Enjoy!